[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Re: Imagination
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Imagination
- From: HENRY SHONERD <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 05:02:38 -0700
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <CAHCnM0DPZHLFJ7S=9ZckYCQTUmj5yTPpiwjrUtw96Yav4BQ_ww@mail.gmail.com> <F19504D1-D425-4B63-ADBD-C9D402B59B55@gmail.com> <CAGaCnpwcvTNnXUOS3ov=bDqffB3kdKS_dFWtdJcUUFDDgx8tFw@mail.gmail.com> <FE684DB3-B785-44DA-BE2A-6A580E7AD849@gmail.com> <, > <CAHCnM0CrAQtyUdKZAfVce5LRydbUPuTMj2EPtH2BL2n9Kk5rTg@mail.gmail.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
In response to Annalisa on we dream only about what we know, can we imagine anything that is not embodied? As in embodied cognition. This touches, undoubtedly, on subject and object, terminology that I have not used until this chat.
> On Dec 13, 2014, at 2:54 PM, Annalisa Aguilar <email@example.com> wrote:
>> So, it seems that imagination is an ineluctable part of anticipation and memory.
> "The mind looks further than what immediately appears to it."
> Juxtaposing the Hume quote (and Mike's above that), I have always found it poignant how we can never dream of anything unless we know of it, even if an dream-object is imagined, these imagined objects are constructed from that which we know in the waking world.
> We cannot dream about what we do not already know.
> Kind regards,