[Xmca-l] Re: Imagination

I know we want to keep this relatively contemporary, but it may be worth noting that Hegel's Psychology also gave a prominent place to Imagination in the section on Representation, mediating between Recollection and Memory. He structured Imagination as (1) Reproductive Imagination, (2) Associative Imagination (3) Productive Imagination, which he says leads to the Sign, which he describes as Productive Memory. In other words, the transition from immediate sensation to Intellect is accomplished through these three grades of Imagination.

mike cole wrote:
Here are some questions I have after reading Strawson and Williams.

Kant et al (including Russian developmentalists whose work i am trying to
mine for empirical
strategies and already-accumulated results) speak of productive
imagination. The Russians write that productive imagination develops.

At first I thought that the use of productive implies that there must be a
kind of ​imagination called UNproductive imagination. But I learned that
instead the idea of RE-productive imagination appears and is linked to
memory.

So, it seems that imagination is an ineluctable part of anticipation and
memory.
Imagine that!
mike