[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Re: NYT Op-Ed: Class Prejudice Resurgent
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: NYT Op-Ed: Class Prejudice Resurgent
- From: Annalisa Aguilar <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 02:37:52 +0000
- Accept-language: en-US
- In-reply-to: <5487AA6F.email@example.com>
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <CAHH++P==TfjW-MnAWDvDNxt8oJYUWH8fXc1ur1-mhzeRoYHcZQ@mail.gmail.com> <email@example.com> <CAHH++PmGot8cDeL-n47pumPXo0+8ue_JjaYr9gUMqR7_4-HDTA@mail.gmail.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <CAHH++PmBZwMHHQ2qjPnJWB2rkd2P0YY=d0xdpkeWty-o2P-UUQ@mail.gmail.com>, <5487AA6F.email@example.com>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: <email@example.com>
- Thread-index: AQHQE2whBOdHmQexuUuK3f0jh0Y6uJyGuceAgAAE7ouAAAiXAIAAwEZ6gAAcjoCAAHCZgIAABehc
- Thread-topic: [Xmca-l] Re: NYT Op-Ed: Class Prejudice Resurgent
Greg & Andy,
As I read it, the wikipedia page used the word communist in the sense it was an uninformed slur, which was how it was unfortunately used back then. I assumed this, and thanks for the correction.
Here's the text in question:
"The term 'communist' was applied to Horton’s teachings and the Highlander School because of the school’s philosophy of bringing whites and blacks together, in violation of segregation laws."
It is the only place the term is used in the entire biography. The wikipage indicates Horton was a socialist and there isn't mention of communist associations.
I don't think just getting white and black adults together to learn together makes a communist school. So that is how I meant it... sorry for brushing against any sensitivities there.
It sounds like he had great parents.