[Xmca-l] Re: NYT Op-Ed: Class Prejudice Resurgent

It was the post-World War Two Settlement between the Allies and the Soviet Union which included huge concessions to the organised working class in Europe and America (and Australia) in exchange for Peaceful Co-existence. This for a time gave a degree of prosperity for the organised working class (which Americans have ever since called "the middle class") and this pacified the class struggle. All those sections of the world's population, beginning with the masses of the colonial world, followed by Blacks in the US and then Women, felt that they had been betrayed by this historic compromise, and raised their own demands for emancipation, and the next 50 years was dominated by this new configuration. Somewhere around the 1990s, this began to open up and it became possible to again see class. Which was always there of course,

Annalisa Aguilar wrote:
Hi Mike,

Why is this the case that 1930s is "non-appropriatable" by later generations? Is it because the stories are not told and shared? McCarthyism? I'm not understanding.

I have a hard time accepting the difficulty groking of it. There are people who are at a gross disadvantage because of a lack of opportunities and lack of advantages.
What is there to grok? It is a sincere question, and not meant to be inflammatory in any way.

Perhaps it is not knowing HOW to discuss it. That is my guess. But there has to be a way to discuss it. Where there is a will there is a way.

Kind regards,

Annalisa