[Xmca-l] Re: labour and signs

What an excellent reference, Mike!
https://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/words/ch07.htm#deed (the 4th last paragraph of Thinking and Speech):

   "The connection between thought and word is not a primal connection
   that is given once and forever. It arises in development and itself
   develops. “In the beginning was the word.""’ Goethe answered this
   Biblical phrase through Faust: “In the beginning was the deed."”
   Through this statement, Goethe wished to counteract the word’s
   over-valuation. Gutsman has noted, however, that we can agree with
   Goethe that the word as such should not be overvaluated and can
   concur in his transformation of the Biblical line to, “In the
   beginning was the //deed/.” /Nonetheless, if we consider the history
   of development, we can still read this line with a different
   emphasis: “In the //beginning/ /was the deed.” Gutsman’s argument is
   that the word is a higher stage in man’s development than the
   highest manifestation of action. He is right. The word did not exist
   in the beginning. In the beginning was the deed. The formation of
   the word occurs nearer the end than the beginning of development.
   The word is the end that crowns the deed."

Surely the last word on the matter.

mike cole wrote:
What if word is used in the context "in the beginning was the word"? It seems that in different contexts, LSV use of the term, word, varies in meaning. So being careful about the topic/context of usage may help us.

(You don't have to take my word for it). :-)

mike