[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[Xmca-l] Re: Zoya Kosmodemyanskaya



Dear Ulvi,

I do not think I would describe it as a state of equilibrium, as this would suggest that she was unbalanced prior to that. For what my contribution is worth, which may not be that much, I don't believe this was her experience. But that is how I interpret it. It seems different for you, and this is OK! :)

Living in the present moment (for me) is about clearing away preconceived notions and their labels, and in doing so possessing a personal clarity that is unencumbered by these labels. 

It is the act of being alive, in my estimation. 

As I have considered it, crisis can bring about this experience, but it is not necessary that crisis be present for this clarity to be present. This clarity is there all the time if we choose to let it reveal itself to us. It may be better to say, to as-though let it reveal itself to us, because it is not an entity with a volition that provides an annunciation to us, but more like opening the curtains to my windows to let the sun shine enter the space. This is why I like the word clarity over equilibrium.

I speculate that this is what it was like for Zoya. I could be wrong, however.

Kind regards,

Annalisa

________________________________________
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Ulvi İçil <ulvi.icil@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, December 1, 2014 2:42 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Zoya Kosmodemyanskaya

I understand your point.

After the decision to go to the front, she seems to have reached an
equilibrium, and she was ready for death. But;
prior to this decision, it seems that she was, as a child, from even ages
like 10 or 11, in a constant search for something. This something, I think,
is to be a person of highest ideals, a devotion to these ideals. It was
defense of Soviet Union after the war broke out. Prior to this, I think she
was not in a state of equilibrium.

Best,
Ulvi


2014-12-01 22:26 GMT+02:00 Annalisa Aguilar <annalisa@unm.edu>:

>
> Hi Ulvi,
>
> I would say that the preconditions are self-acceptance, which is my reason
> for mentioning cows and cats. Of course cows and cats are not
> self-conscious so I was being a little ironic to say that we could evolve
> to their state. More to your point, it is because we don't accept ourselves
> as we are that causes unhappiness. So to be more precise about how to think
> of it is to consider the removal of non-self-acceptance rather than an
> addition of self-acceptance, because as infants and children we accept
> ourselves just fine! Why are children so happy?
>
> Zoya seems to have accepted herself as herself, living in her present
> moment, living to the task at hand as was necessary. It is my belief the
> reason why she was able to face her death so fearlessly, and why she was so
> remarkable to the people around her while she lived.
>
> I would not call being in the present moment idealistic, but realistic. :)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Annalisa
>
> ________________________________________
> From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu>
> on behalf of Ulvi İçil <ulvi.icil@gmail.com>
> Sent: Monday, December 1, 2014 4:04 AM
> To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
> Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Zoya Kosmodemyanskaya
>
> Thank you Annalisa.
>
> You are right. There is certainly many many happinnesses.
>
> But the question was: One big, common happiness for all. Is there such
> happiness?
>
> Anf if there is, what are its preconditions?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Ulvi
>
>
> 2014-12-01 10:41 GMT+02:00 Annalisa Aguilar <annalisa@unm.edu>:
>
> > Dear Ulvi,
> >
> > I think it absolutely depends on what you mean by happiness!  :)
> >
> > But to Zoya, it seems that she became the person she became from the deep
> > reading she did. I'm sure writing in a notebook is a part of that as
> well.
> > I suspect in the backdrop of her hard life, these past-times were
> essential
> > to her development, especially concerning her imagination.
> >
> > Have you noticed how cows are not bothered if they have matching horns or
> > crooked horns? Or cats do not complain that their silly acrobatics are
> > posted on the internet?
> >
> > If we evolve to a state of being non-self-conscious, as animals are, we
> > might be happier than we are now. Though maybe I am wrong.
> >
> > Maybe happiness is just _being_ happy?
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Annalisa
> >
>
>