[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[Xmca-l] Re: dappled



He was 'celebrating diversity' against a culture which elevated 'purity' above anything 'blemished' by admixture.

Rod

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: 25 November 2014 09:32
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: dappled

he, he! Nice.
This guy seems to have the idea, with "stipple" and "freckled". :) andy
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/


Rod Parker-Rees wrote:
> I think perish has a particular sense - life draining away - which makes it appropriate for the progressive loss of functionality suffered by exposed rubber! Word meanings are dappled. Do you know Gerard Manley Hopkins' poem 'Pied Beauty' (http://www.bartleby.com/122/13.html) which begins 'Glory be to God for dappled things' and goes on to celebrate 'All things counter, original , spare, strange; Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)'
>
> Rod
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu
> [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
> Sent: 25 November 2014 09:12
> To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
> Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: dappled
>
> Yes, Rod, it may just be a case of my ignorance. I had not noticed "dappled" used those other ways. "Perished" though as it is used for perishable rubber is surely a distinct meaning from perished=died? But maybe it is all just cases of words moving from one context to another.
> Andy
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> *Andy Blunden*
> http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/
>
>
> Rod Parker-Rees wrote:
>
>> This is news to me. I would have thought that 'dappled' had many uses - 'a dappled horse', 'the cloth was green, dappled with patches of blue'. You could argue that these uses are metaphorical - borrowed from dappled light or dappled shade but you could also argue that the use in 'dappled shade' is a borrowing from the description of a dappled horse.
>>
>> Perished only applies to rubber! Perish the thought! People have perished, ambitions have perished and here in Devon this morning it is perishing!
>>
>> Rod
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu
>> [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
>> Sent: 25 November 2014 07:01
>> To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
>> Subject: [Xmca-l] dappled
>>
>> I have a trivial question for the linguists on this list.
>> Do you have a word for words like "dappled" and "perished" (or dapple and perish) which can describe only one thing (shade and rubber respectively)?
>>
>> Andy
>> --
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> -
>> --
>> *Andy Blunden*
>> http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/
>>
>> ________________________________
>> [http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/images/email_footer.gif]<http://www.plymou
>> t
>> h.ac.uk/worldclass>
>>
>> This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient then copying, distribution or other use of the information contained is strictly prohibited and you should not rely on it. If you have received this email in error please let the sender know immediately and delete it from your system(s). Internet emails are not necessarily secure. While we take every care, Plymouth University accepts no responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan emails and their attachments. Plymouth University does not accept responsibility for any changes made after it was sent. Nothing in this email or its attachments constitutes an order for goods or services unless accompanied by an official order form.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> ________________________________
> [http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/images/email_footer.gif]<http://www.plymout
> h.ac.uk/worldclass>
>
> This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient then copying, distribution or other use of the information contained is strictly prohibited and you should not rely on it. If you have received this email in error please let the sender know immediately and delete it from your system(s). Internet emails are not necessarily secure. While we take every care, Plymouth University accepts no responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan emails and their attachments. Plymouth University does not accept responsibility for any changes made after it was sent. Nothing in this email or its attachments constitutes an order for goods or services unless accompanied by an official order form.
>
>
>

________________________________
[http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/images/email_footer.gif]<http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>

This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient then copying, distribution or other use of the information contained is strictly prohibited and you should not rely on it. If you have received this email in error please let the sender know immediately and delete it from your system(s). Internet emails are not necessarily secure. While we take every care, Plymouth University accepts no responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan emails and their attachments. Plymouth University does not accept responsibility for any changes made after it was sent. Nothing in this email or its attachments constitutes an order for goods or services unless accompanied by an official order form.