From: Andy Blunden <mailto:ablunden@mira.net>
Sent: ‎2014-‎11-‎23 7:45 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <mailto:xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Fate, Luck and Chance

Annalisa,
It is impossible to take this conversation forward unless we establish
some shared concepts and word meanings.
"Material" is a word which can be used very loosely and applied to
almost anything. But "matter" (in this discourse) is a philosophical
category denoting all that which exists outside of and independently of
consciousness but is knowable through human activity. Any finite
category (such as word, cosmos, thing, movement, ...) in some sense both
outside of consciousness and a product of consciousness, but "matter" is
the base category which distinguishes illusions, fantasies, phantoms,
ideas, etc., from what exists.

You can mean anything you like by any of these words, but if the people
you are talking to mean something else by the same words, then confusion
can follow. We need to be on the same page.

All the basic concepts are explained, with references for follow-up
reading here: http://wiki.lchc.ucsd.edu/CHAT/WebHome