[Xmca-l] Re: Did Vygotsky Ever Finish Anything?

Attached is JREEP 45(2)

David Kellogg wrote:
Mike:

Take a look at p. 25-27 of JREEP 45 (2), the letters to students and
colleagues. It's a very interesting letter to Leontiev which LSV wrote
from a dacha (perhaps the Izmailovo Zoo, where he sometimes stayed
when convalescing). He says he's working on "a history of cultural
development" (p. 27) there. But he begins by suggesting the
"IP"--apparently instrumental psychology--has wound up "in the
category of unprofitable pursuits", which is consistent with his
desire to establish the difference between signs and tools
structurally, genetically, and above all functionally. Then he calls
Luria's chapter of "Ape, Primitive, Child":

"written *wholly* according to the Freudianists (and not even
according to Freud but according to V.F. Schmidt (her materials, M.
Klein and other second magnitude stars; then the impenetrable Piaget
is turned into an absolute beyond all measure, instrument and sign are
mixed together even more...." (p. 26).

He's apparently referring to the Third Chapter in the published
version, though here he calls it the first chapter of the second part.
Then he says the debacle is not ARL's personal fault but the result of
the muddled thinking of the instrumental period in general.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies