[Xmca-l] Higher Mental Functions

For those of you who rely on marxists.org for their Vygotsky reading, I have scanned a couple more chapters from Volume 4 of the LSVCW today:
http://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/1931/research-method.htm
http://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/1931/analysis-higher-mental-functions.htm

I was looking for material where Vygotsky discusses the relation between sign-mediation and tool-mediation (and other types of mediation!) and these chapters seemed to be necessary. I could not find the passage where he expresses some antipathy to calling both signs and tools "artefacts". I was sure I read this somewhere. Can anyone recall where that could have been?