From: Andy Blunden [mailto:ablunden@mira.net] Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2014 3:02 PM
To: anna sfard
Cc: 'eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity'
Subject: Re: [Xmca-l] Re: Objectivity of mathematics

I think your quote expresses a truth, and an important truth.
It is more precise, but it is what I meant when I said earlier that the unit
of analysis "rotates.", with the mediator becoming the object.
The statement is still kind of agnostic on the question, isn't it though,
Anna? Mathematical relations are often only an approximation to things
happening in the material world, and the validity of the mathematics is not
thereby any the less for that.

anna sfard wrote:
No, Andy, I don’t think this was, or should be, said. I apologize in advance for quoting myself, but it would be too much to try to say things anew in the middle of work on an all different text:

"mathematical communication apparently reverses the developmental order known from ‎colloquial discourses: whereas these latter discourses are created for the sake of ‎communication about physical reality, in mathematical discourse objects are created for ‎the sake of
communication.
True, also mathematical communication is supposed, ‎eventually, to mediate practical activities, and thus to pertain, in one way or another to the ‎world of primary objects that predate the discourse. However, this fact may easily escape ‎one’s attention. The realization trees of mathematical signifiers [for the sake of the present conversation, you may replace the "realization trees" with "chains of signification"], although likely to have ‎primary objects or processes on such objects at their basis, may be too rich and complex ‎to be embraced at a glance. Leaving the concrete foundations of such trees temporarily out of sight ‎may thus be the condition for the proficiency of
mathematical communication.‎"
Xmca-ing is addictive!

anna