[Xmca-l] Re: Objectivity of mathematics

I think your quote expresses a truth, and an important truth.
It is more precise, but it is what I meant when I said earlier that the unit of analysis "rotates.", with the mediator becoming the object. The statement is still kind of agnostic on the question, isn't it though, Anna? Mathematical relations are often only an approximation to things happening in the material world, and the validity of the mathematics is not thereby any the less for that.

anna sfard wrote:
No, Andy, I don’t think this was, or should be, said. I apologize in advance
for quoting myself, but it would be too much to try to say things anew in
the middle of work on an all different text:

"mathematical communication apparently reverses the developmental order
known from ‎colloquial discourses: whereas these latter discourses are
created for the sake of ‎communication about physical reality, in
mathematical discourse objects are created for ‎the sake of communication.
True, also mathematical communication is supposed, ‎eventually, to mediate
practical activities, and thus to pertain, in one way or another to the
‎world of primary objects that predate the discourse. However, this fact may
easily escape ‎one’s attention. The realization trees of mathematical
signifiers [for the sake of the present conversation, you may replace the
"realization trees" with "chains of signification"], although likely to have
‎primary objects or processes on such objects at their basis, may be too
rich and complex ‎to be embraced at a glance. Leaving the concrete
foundations of such trees temporarily out of sight ‎may thus be the
condition for the proficiency of mathematical communication.‎"

Xmca-ing is addictive!

anna