[Xmca-l] Re: Objectivity of mathematics

Oh dear! some times I despair of the possibility of communication.
That the Earth is round is a social convention, but it is not *only* a social convention; it has a sound basis in material reality. That is to say, Julian, no amount of discoursing and activity can alter the fact that the world is round. The roundness of the Earth is also outside discourse and activity, even though it is made meaningful and known for us only thanks to discourse/activity. Driving on the right is subject to discourse/activity. In about 1968 Sweden changed from left to right. RIght-hand driving is *only* a social convention.
Simple, eh? I would have thought so.

Martin John Packer wrote:
And also that the earth is round is a convention! Go figure!
Martin