[Xmca-l] Re: units of mathematics education

Let's not let this thread drop, Ed.
To my mind, understanding that mathematics is constrained by objective relations, and is not just a social convention, and therefore *reveals* objective relations, quite distinct from relations discoverable by "experimenting" in the world beyond the text, and opens the possibility for students to *explore and discover*. Such an experience has a very different content from that of acquiring a social convention. So I think it is important that the unit of analysis reflect this.

Ed Wall wrote:
Andy

     Nice and important points. Thanks!

Ed