[Xmca-l] Re: Gendered Access in Crafting and Electronics Practices

Kylie & co.,
A fascinating study around a truly ingenious approach to the gendered division of labour - giving school kids E-textiles to construct an electronic device - total mixing up and confounding the gender stereotypes about sewing and electronics, etc.

Some of the results were quite startling. That the young boy should not just abstain and demonstratively not pay attention, but pay active and supportive attention to the girl making the circuit with her needle-and-thread - an admired female-typical stance one would have thought a young male incapable of adopting with a female workmate. And that the gender-inscription of the sewing tools over-rode the greater experience that in this case the young boy had in using them, with the boy deferring to the less experienced girl in recognition of the gender-appropriateness of her "taking charge" with the needle-and-thread. This does cause one to think a little deeper into how we might conceptualise such gendered behaviours.

As you would know, MCA has a strong preference for qualitative research, and studies with small sample sizes are not generally a problem, but so much seemed to hinge on the study of just *one* boy-girl team, that I am concerned about the capacity to generalise from such a base. There were about 80 youth in the activity as a whole, so I can only hope and presume that observation of the other 78 kids in some way guided the work focused on just 2.

I must say, the analysis of the video data is very sophisticated and productive and you are to be congratulated on this aspect of the work. I see that you approach the gendering of the activities through the idea of the various *tools* being gendered, rather than the *practices* themselves. This is something that was really necessary for you to be able to make these observations, because the gendering of the activities is ambiguous, but not it seems the gendering of the tools. Is this a result of the study, or is it something you already knew or did you arrive at this by logic?

Do you see any other opportunities for confounding gender stereotypes in this way?

And finally, does the experience of working in ambiguous, even inverted gender-stereotyped activities like these have any outcome which carries over into a world where the gender division of labour lacks ambiguity?

Kylie Peppler wrote:
Thanks Andy! We're excited to discuss with the community and would welcome any comments/questions on this emerging line of research!
Kylie

---
Kylie A. Peppler
Assistant Professor of Learning Sciences
Indiana University | School of Education
1900 E 10th Street | Eigenmann 528 | Bloomington | IN | 47406 | 812.856.8381