[Xmca-l] Re: LSV & ANL on the problem of the environment

Mike, LSV *nowhere* says that perezhivanie is "a unit of analysis for the thought and emotion". I think what Julian said is quite precise: perezhivanie expresses a relation between, or a unity of, the person and their environment.

LSV remarks in "Thinking and Speech" that word-meaning is a unity of speaking and thinking, but *also* a "unity of generalization and social interaction, a unity of thinking and communication." A good unit is specifically a unit of this and that, but it will almost always turn out to be a unity of a lot of other abstractions as well.

I think it is important to stick to Julian's point: a unity - that is, a very specific relationship, between the person and their surroundings, one that involves characteristics of the person and characteristics of the environment, not the whole of both. To interpret "unity" as "union" or "sum" and take it to mean adding the whole person to the entire world crisis is an absurdity.

LSV expresses the specificity of this relationship by (among several formulations) talking of the *significance* of the environment (or features of it) for the child or how the child *understands* the constellation of relations surrounding them. When we reflect on the relationship, we see that certain characteristics of the child and of the environment were active in the given perezhivanie.

I think phrases like "unity of cognition and emotion" have arisen in Anglophone discussion in attempts to convey the content of perezhivanie in Russian culture. I think the point is that a perezhivanie (i.e., an event) is a whole, that is, like Dewey explains, it has its own unity, by which it stands out from the background of experience, it has a beginning and an end. In that sense, it involves the entire psyche - attention, will, intellect, affect - and it is misleading really to emphasise any or all of these psychological functions because it is only thanks to reflection and analysis that they are distinguished from what is whole and integral in a perezhivanie. A perezhivanie is as much about attention and will as it is about emotion and cognition. The point is that it arises from the relation between the person and their surroundings.

Unfortunately, there are meanings implicit in the Russian word perezhivanie which are not spelt out by Vygotsky because they are obvious to his listeners. The translators have tried to help us out here by translating it as "emotional experience." It is "an experience" in the sense, as Dewey said, of an experience which stands out from the general background of experience; it is memorable/unforgettable; it is meaningful and significant. Etc. But Vygotysky doesn't discuss any of this.

Andy
http://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/1934/environment.htm

Huw Lloyd wrote:
I've formulated some thoughts on first readings but need to do some cross
checking.  I've some other commitments too, so probably won't be posting
these impressions till Tuesday.

I suggest folk who would very much like to read these interesting (and
challenging) papers (but for whatever reason can't do so straightaway) push
out some dates in the near so that we hold off for you.

In the mean-time, we can simply post up our impressions etc, and then do a
second stage exchange once everyone has had an opportunity to participate
in their initial sense-making / rumination / critiques.

You can access the papers from Andy's earlier email here:
http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/Mail/Current.Mail/msg00114.html

Best,
Huw