[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Re: units of analysis?
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: units of analysis?
- From: Martin John Packer <email@example.com>
- Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 22:05:25 +0000
- Accept-language: es-CO, en-US
- In-reply-to: <47447E73-F80E-454E-BA6A-530CCC43D6F0@csun.edu>
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <CAGaCnpzDt0vD9CFRLy7Nuu8Je57OqqdR-Cp=NQ3VB4EcdzY55Q@mail.gmail.com> <65E5D326-D9DD-48EF-8980-8A6C938F8370@uniandes.edu.co> <CACwG6Dt9FWQvjs=3UUwP5FuvLrmja5-LCq=7S17t1AX6tmeNBw@mail.gmail.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <CAHCnM0Crgk4jOnMCRvEsTNTK8z7XEKSghuDcwY3Yj9RrKh+FKg@mail.gmail.com> <5437318D.email@example.com> <CAHCnM0BwWp1pki-ZdyWHysk7fe+K5dcX+SAGeusv1cDZP1TWxA@mail.gmail.com> <96291003.30217021.1412912602186.JavaMail.firstname.lastname@example.org> <54375FB1.email@example.com> <8F385CC13313CC47B866739C3A4BC3110222F8D4@TIS103.uopnet.plymouth.ac.uk> <4CAC65E4-55A3-4BA4-B944-DE377CE4362E@uniandes.edu.co> <5437D06C.firstname.lastname@example.org> <C46EF6B0-6B63-4DA6-9D2E-BC5451888C62@uniandes.edu.co> <5437E6C3.email@example.com> <CACwG6DvJ37J2T=LdH-5iyDuh2b-sxsebxSnE1rvz31PKTrwA6g@mail.gmail.com> <CAHCnM0Bskep55ZY8xNGczAQtS12Kie=ur5gyZypJj9HqB951aA@mail.gmail.com> <D5A8B883-02A8-4D02-AAA0-E2F411B45830@csun.edu> <D7810BB6-72CD-410D-BE17-4A5B4B0DF03A@uga.edu> <543A6B00.firstname.lastname@example.org> <CAOQmcueN2ZJJ6TiLwRb4Z0uXTb=_6_4aTdLyH_3R3gOOgHNH0w@mail.gmail.com> <4CDD3120-F097-49C3-A8F2-5A10371AC88A@gmail.com>, <CANfuAVDSG95t-Ff3O69u7fE4+z+rwgqveT5LHpk6Lq4MnOgK1Q@mail.gmail.com> <47447E73-F80E-454E-BA6A-530CCC43D6F0@csun.edu>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Thread-index: AQHP5mig+ck4Jfm8TUmlv2qozYagUQ==
- Thread-topic: [Xmca-l] units of analysis?
It's true that the English translation has "experience," and I don't know what the original Russian was, but it seems to me that the point that Vygotsky is making is that children of different ages will not only "experience" a drunken parent, they will also interact differently with that parent, have different needs in their relationship with that parent, and interpret differently the way the parent is behaving. If it were only "experience" then yes, that could sound very individual. I can't believe that LSV wasn't writing about the *interaction* between child and parent, and how that interaction changes qualitatively with the child's stage of development.
I don't know how best to translate perezhivanie, but I have come to see emotion not as a private, subjective experience, but as a way of relating to the world that is fundamentally prereflective, evaluative, and active. Perezhivanie ought to contain all of this! :)
On Oct 12, 2014, at 4:12 PM, Tonyan, Holli A <Holli.Tonyan@csun.edu> wrote:
> The LSV paper uses a child's emotional experience (perezhevanie) because each child understands an experience differently, but not just understands. Isn't that ANL's big critique that "experience" is still too individual and not social enough? Sorry, simple but the best I can do on my phone.