[Xmca-l] Re: how to broaden/enliven the xmca discussion

I was glad that I re-read "Problem of the environment."
The discussion of the 3 siblings takes up a smaller proportion of the article than I had remembered. Vygotsky doesn't seem to say much about perezhivanie except that obvious fact that it represents a *relation* between the person and the environment, and he says this in a variety of ways. I had not well remembered what he said about the development of the 3 siblings - each suffered some kind of pathology as a result of the perezhivanie occasioned by the mother's drunkenness, but the pathology was *different* in each case. And he *does* say quite explicitly that perezhivanija are units of analysis, and I gather it is a unit for analysis of personality development, and therefore of personality (as ambiguous as that word is). But there is no elaboration of perezhivanie which allows us to understand how much of the cultural load carried by the word in the Russian language is intended to be incorporated in the scientific concept - this is left open. But the article also includes Vygotsky's important reflections about the presence of the "ideal form" in the environment and how this makes ontogenetic development unique among all forms of development. And he also includes a statement of the "law of cultural development" that all the higher psychological functions originally manifest themselves as forms of the child's collective behaviour. I still think it's a great article, though one would have loved Vygotsky to have elaborated more on some points.

mike cole wrote:
I had never thought of the meaning/value connection, David. Thank Mr Hicheol for me! I need to read more about tema which is not a term I am familiar with being used in this context before.

I gather that the idea of reading the two articles on the problem of the environment proved uninteresting. As a sign of my decriptude I had totally forgotten that Andy had written a whole essay about the contrast because I had it compartmentalized as part of a discussion among Russians that we have been poking our noses in to. I would not recommend starting with Andy's essay because it might discourage reading the two articles themselves. I have read the Vygotsky over a couple of times with special focus on question of units of analysis arising from one of David's earlier notes.

Perhaps its only me, but when our conversations quickly spiral into three more heavy tomes to read just to get near what the note writer is suggesting, and when it involves Husserl, Heidegger and Merleau-Ponty (whose work, at least, i know a little about!), I get to feeling overwhelmed. I was hoping that maybe a sharp contrast and a discussion that focused right on it, might be useful.
No stopping the racing train, i guess.
mike