[Xmca-l] Re: how to broaden/enliven the xmca discussion

Dmitry Leontyev's main speech to ISCAR (at the pre-conference on Monday) was all about the dualism between sense and meaning, including the Russian terms (was it mysl and znachnie or something?) and the German Sinn and Bedeutung, and he preferred in ENglish to use "personal meaning" and "public meaning" to clarify the difference, because "sense" is so polysemic. A wonderful dualistic world, simply divided between internal, psychological sense and non-psychological, material/external meaning. The clearest explication of the fallacy of AN Leontyev's approach I have ever witnessed.

Anyway, as I understand it, "meaning" is objectively fixed in words by the objective relations between words and words, words and things, and between things. "Sense" is the internal psychological reflection of this external world. So in the "Evolution of the Psyche" I read:

   "Meaning is the reflection of reality irrespective of man’s
   individual, personal relation to it. Man finds an already prepared,
   historically formed system of meanings and assimilates it just as he
   masters a tool, the material prototype of meaning. The psychological
   fact proper, the fact of my life, is this, (a) that I do or do not
   assimilate a given meaning, do or do not master it, and (b) what it
   becomes for me and for my personality in so far as I assimilate it;
   and that depends on what subjective, personal sense it has for me."

So I guess "primitive consciousness" is sort of like these people who vote for George Bush because "he's my kind of guy," and don't reflect on it. :)

mike cole wrote:
I, to, have returned to Leontiev's develoment book following David's suggestion. Still reading,
but passages such as the following really dicombobulate me.

"The coincidences of sense and meanings is the main feature of primitive consciousness."

mike