[Xmca-l] Re: how to broaden/enliven the xmca discussion

I found Kaptelinin's article in MCA invaluable, Mike. Bonnie Nardi I had the great pleasure of meeting for the first time at ISCAR, and if she has written something on "object" that is very good news. I don't think the problem is intractable, though I don't think one good book or one good article is enough. But for example, for a long while I have been jumping up and down about how people use the word "perezhivanie" without an article (the, a, an some, etc) implying it is some kind of "substance" whereas in Russian it is a count noun. While there remains outstanding differences about what perezhivanie means, I notice that almost all bar one now use it with an article. So, however that happened that is a step forward, and people are aware of the differences in interpretation and they are being discussed. I think if we talk about "object" for a while, maybe this can be straightened out. I know the task of conceptual consistency in our research community seems to be a hopeless task, but I am optimistic.

mike cole wrote:
Those certainly seem like lively topics, Andy. I had in mind specifically topics that are on peoples' minds that go U discussed. I hope that the time spent at ISCAR produces a shower of interesting ideas. Isn't that the object of such gatherings? (Whatever object means!). :-). The Nardi and Kaptelinin chapter on basics of AT is one good source, but it seems the problem is intractable!

Mike