[Xmca-l] Re: CHAT Discourse

I am sure that in this long thread, *someone* must have already said that philosophy (i.e., critique of concepts) and psychology (critique of data) both stimulate and challenge one another. Two independent processes which interact with one another, surely? Some currents of psychology remain content with the concepts of common sense and focus on observation, others are eternally dissatisfied with the concepts they use. But essentially it's the same process.

What has driven me along the road to developing my approach to Activity Theory are both the (to me) obvious degradation of Vygotsky's concepts in the move to Activity Theory, *and* pressing problems like two halves of the country which seem to believe in mutually exclusive sets of facts about the world, like the fact that so many well-educated people believe the world was created 10,000 years ago by a Christian God, why countries which were well on the way to modernity 50 years ago have now confined their womenfolk indoors and behind veils, why priests abuse the children in their care and are protected by the hierarchy, why asbestos workers would not believe that the stuff was killing them even when half the town was dying of it, etc. - These kinds of situation are *data* for social theorists and it seemed to me that Vygotsky's ideas were the best thing going, but they had not been satisfactorily developed by Activity Theorists for social theory. The facts I am concerned with are pretty well, if not universally, recognised, but probably half the world has noticed. The problem is mainly the *concepts*. Some successful projects which have changed minds on a mass scale are the only way of getting more data, but even then the situation is not qualitatively different because the kind of projects I am interested in are real, not isolated in a laboratory, so as much open to contested interpretation as any of the facts I mentioned above and are not the kind of thing one experiments with.

mike cole wrote:
If others agree, Andy, then it provides a context within which to make judgments about the kind of enterprise CHAT has become, in its various
instantations, which are certainly multiple!

On the other hand, maybe I am just being dull, the problems have been solved. mike