[Xmca-l] Re: CHAT Discourse

This is a great cocktail party! Who's hosting it, anyway, and do they mind that we trashed the kitchen?

I wanted to weigh in on a side point that Andy made. He wrote:
By "scientific project" I mean it is part of a larger project called "Science." It is not up to you or me to define "science", this is a project which has been going on for about 400 years in its modern form and more than 2000 years since it first got started. It has its own system of concepts, including its various, contested self-definitions. These are objective, inasmuch as your question has to be answered by studying the concepts by means of which science organises itself.

I believe it is very much up to you and me to define "science"--to use CHAT, concepts of mediation, critical theories, empirically derived theories or any other tool at our disposal to challenge science's "own system of concepts, including its various, contested self-definitions." In fact, many scholars (lots of whom, for reasons that may be important or not, are not active members of this listserv) have been contesting the larger project called "Science" quite pointedly and effectively for quite a long time.

--
Jenna McWilliams
Learning Sciences Program, University of Colorado