[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Re: Vygotsky, bernstein and halliday
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Vygotsky, bernstein and halliday
- From: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 13:00:22 +0000
- In-reply-to: <CAGVMwbWqCDjzfaR5EoZLv=2Sf3=ciHvmCuuB29B6Crrtu77dGQ@mail.gmail.com>
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <431A2CEB-4335-4285-8441-8F490D6F0549@uniandes.edu.co> <5CBAADBB-663F-4007-974E-837EEECE5BDD@btinternet.com>, <CAGVMwbWqCDjzfaR5EoZLv=2Sf3=ciHvmCuuB29B6Crrtu77dGQ@mail.gmail.com>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Carol, I also would like a copy.
The discussion of the metaphor of *scaffolding* which seems to have intuitive appeal but is questioned is also a comment on the power of *metaphor* for forming [and transforming] *modes* of consciousness.
Scaffolding as a metaphor *indicates/gestures* towards the relation of passing on already formed ideas, concepts, names which the listener is to receive and appropriate. It is a *construction* metaphor. The *building* as David says is already *assumed* to be *designed*
The relation of the *literal* to the *metaphorical* seems important to consider in this metaphor and more generally in the transformative power of metaphor
Is the boundary and contrast between *metaphorical* and *literal* clear or fuzzy?
The boundary between *is* *as* *as if* seems to be fluid and yet deeply implicated in our understandings and explanations
For example the metaphors *scaffolding* *boundaries* *permeability* fluid* *construction* *constituted* *modes* are examples of metaphors used. What do we *mean* by *modes* of consciousness. How *real* are *modes*??
James Ma in his 2014 article he recently posted [ The Synergy of Peirce and Vygotsky AS an Analytical Approach to the Multimodality of Semiotic Mediation* seems to have potential for relating what he refers to as Vygotsky’s *deductive* focus and Peirce’s *abductive* approach.
to approach the relation of the metaphorical and literal and their *fuzzy boundaries* within *fuzzy logic* may be contrasted *clear and distinct* nominalistic notions.
James Ma explores the notion of *multimodality* [pluralistic modes] such as words AND images
Peirce also developed a concept *interpretive MUSINGS* that I would like leads to follow up.
The centrality of Peirce’s notion of *musings* and its relation to *metaphoricity* and to *abduction* and to *multimodality* I am curious to explore further.
For that I may need *scaffolding* and *building blocks* to constitute [or be constituted by] within multiple pluralistic polythematic *arrangements* and *orders*
Sent from Windows Mail
From: Carol Macdonald
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 2:09 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
I would also like a copy, without having to pay $35 for the article.
PS Why don't they (T&F) open source papers so far back?
On 10 September 2014 10:42, Shirley Franklin email@example.com*
> I would also like a copy please.
> Sent from my iPhone
> > On 9 Sep 2014, at 22:31, Martin John Packer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> > Anyone have a copy of this?
> > Martin
> > Vygotsky, bernstein and halliday: Towards a unified theory of L1 and L2
> > Language, Culture and Curriculum
> > Volume 4<http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/rlcc20?open=4#vol_4>, Issue 1<
> http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rlcc20/4/1>, 1991
> > DOI:
> > 10.1080/07908319109525092
> > Joseph Foley
> > <http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/07908319109525092>
Carol A Macdonald Ph D (Edin)
Academic, Researcher, and Editor
Honorary Research Fellow: Department of Linguistics, Unisa