[Xmca-l] Re: The Highlander Center in Tennessee

Well, there certainly is a lot to be said about Highlander!
I would be very willing to participate in a collaborative effort to recall this amazing institution to MCA readers. As it happens, its current incarnation, the Highlander Research and Education Center, is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Freedom Summer next month, but one of the astounding features of this place is that it has survived alive through 82 years in the heart of Dixie teaching radical democracy to integrated classes and taking its students out on to picket lines and voter registration drives as part of their "course work". Absolutely astounding. It is also a "design experiment" inasmuch as Myles Horton used it to "experiment" to develop his methods of social change. And a rare case in which a school has literally changed history, and consciously so. But the fact is that I am a foreigner who only learnt that this place existed a couple of weeks ago. Robert Lake on the other hand does know a lot about it, and maybe Helena Worthen would like to contribute. The larger context in which it has arisen in my research may just be too large to introduce into a review article which does Highlander justice, but I could add a line or too on that if Robert could write the bulk of it.

mike cole wrote:
This entire line of discussion, including Highlander and Septima seems ripe for a kind of review essay for MCA. Might a couple of you involved in recuperating this important history consider creating a survey/ guide for the rest of us?
Mike