[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Re: a new Ph.D. program at UC San Diego with a focus on Transforming Education in a Diverse Society
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: a new Ph.D. program at UC San Diego with a focus on Transforming Education in a Diverse Society
- From: mike cole <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:58:58 -0700
- In-reply-to: <0257A250-54BD-4050-AC59-B7597C6918A3@gmail.com>
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <99DE8B11-CAD6-42FC-9C99-2A53C435152F@ucsd.edu> <0257A250-54BD-4050-AC59-B7597C6918A3@gmail.com>
- Reply-to: <email@example.com>, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: <email@example.com>
Hi Henry-- As you will see from the attachment that Jim sent around that
the developing education department here at UCSD is really interesting and
should be of interest to a lot of MCA members.
On the issue of Langackerr and Vygotsky, it would be great to see the
articles you are referring to. His work along the with the work of Giles
Faulconier are clearly relevant to people who are interested in Vygotsky's
ideas and those of related scholars such as Halliday, all coming from
different national traditions.
Nice idea for a review article in MCA.
But more proximaly, what should we be reading?
On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 6:54 PM, Henry G. Shonerd III <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> Hi Jim,
> Nothing attached, I think. Sounds very interesting, so I sure would like
> to get the flyer. By chance, I am in an email correspondence with Ronald
> Langacker, emeritus prof in linguistics at UCSD. Are you familiar with is
> work in Cognitive Linguistics? In several articles he just sent me, he
> agrees with me that Vygotsky and his work are highly compatible. It seems
> to me that CG and Vygotsky could help provide a great theoretical
> foundation for a doctoral program such as the one you are developing. I
> have been a teacher educator in New Mexico for 25 years and have been
> thinking about the connection between CG and Vygotsky from the beginning.
> My dissertation is on L2 learning, so the focus of your new program is
> inspiring to me.
> On Aug 28, 2014, at 5:21 PM, Jim Levin <email@example.com> wrote:
> > Hi XMCA folks,
> > Education Studies at UC San Diego is starting a new Ph.D. program with a
> focus on Transforming Education in a Diverse Society - a flyer is attached.
> > If you know of students who you think might be interested in this
> doctoral program, please encourage them to consider applying this fall for
> our inaugural cohort to start in Fall 2015 - the application deadline is
> December 1, 2014. I’m happy to answer any questions they may have.
> > Thanks!
> > Jim Levin
> > Professor
> > Department of Education Studies, UC San Diego