[Xmca-l] Re: The Highlander Center in Tennessee

Thanks so much for this, Greg,
Listening to the guy (it took me all day to get through this 2 hour video!) it comes across much clearer than I could get it from various texts. Around the 48 min mark he tells how this tough union group came up to Highlander to work through a problem they had, and they came to Horton and said they wanted him to make the decision for them because they couldn't resolve it. Horton refused. So they put a gun to his head to make their point. Still he refused. I was looking for where/how he *taught* collective decision-making, but it is clear now, by just insisting that people "take charge of their own lives" and demanding that while at the Center they run the whole place, together, and refusing ever to make a decision or tell them what ought to be done, they learnt how to make collective decisions, in their own way. In the autumn of 1959, when the students who were later to create SNCC came to Highlander (as opposed to the unionists CIO had been sending), this had the particularly spectacular outcomes which I am interested in.
Sorry to be a little cryptic, but it's a work in progress.
Thank you Robert and Peg and Greg for your assistance.

Greg Thompson wrote:
and I started watching this nice special titled "Myles Horton: Radical Hillbilly":
http://vimeo.com/30650519

It is a Bill Moyers journal and the nice part about it is most of it is Moyers interviewing Horton. From what little I know, it seems to give a very good sense for the man.

-greg