[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Re: The Highlander Center in Tennessee
- To: Andy Blunden <email@example.com>, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: The Highlander Center in Tennessee
- From: Robert Lake <email@example.com>
- Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 14:13:38 -0400
- In-reply-to: <53F9F6C8.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <53F9E94F.email@example.com> <CAGivuckGt5M7BSduGnHsUDC=xgr8Cg66bv8Jh14PHiuMs4e8yg@mail.gmail.com> <53F9F6C8.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Hi Andy and Everyone,
Here is the link to the digital archives for Highlander at the University
On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 10:29 AM, Andy Blunden <email@example.com> wrote:
> I have a memoir written by Angeline Butler about her time at Highlander in
> 1959 before joining SNCC and she reports being taught consensus
> decision-making. I know Horton placed a lot of emphasis on forcing students
> to make their own decisions, and I have a memoir from an African student at
> the International Peoples College at Helsingor on which Horton based
> Highlander, which tells of a specific exercise in consensus decision
> making. I think it may have come under the heading of "conflict
> resolution". What I don't have is any independent corroboration of Angeline
> Butler's testimony and nor do Horton's notes about what he learnt at
> Helsingor mention conflict resolution or any kind of decision-making.
> Mainly about bonding.
> Any thoughts?
> *Andy Blunden*
> Robert Lake wrote:
>> Hi Andy,
>> Yes I do. Start with this .
>> And this biography of Myles Horton
>> and the biography of Septima Clark.
>> 1408889271&sr=1-2&keywords=septima+clark <http://www.amazon.com/
>> I have written a piece on her as well and will send it this afternoon.
>> I think the book We Make the Road by Walking: A dialogue between Myles
>> Horton and Paulo Freire
>> is one of the best books on both these leaders.
>> More Later,
>> Robert Lake
>> I will send more this afternoon.
>> On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Andy Blunden <firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:
>> email@example.com>> wrote:
>> Does anyone on this list know about the Highlander Center, what
>> used to be called the Highlander Folk School?
>> The people there are very helpful, but they're also rushed off
>> their feet (like everyone, I guess) and if there were any other
>> sources of information about it, that would be helpful. I'm
>> particularly interested if anyone is familiar with what they were
>> doing in the 1950s and 60s.
>> -- ------------------------------------------------------------
>> *Andy Blunden*
>> *Robert Lake Ed.D.
>> *Associate Professor
>> Social Foundations of Education
>> Dept. of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
>> Georgia Southern University
>> Secretary/Treasurer-AERA- Paulo Freire Special Interest Group
>> P. O. Box 8144
>> Phone: (912) 478-0355
>> Fax: (912) 478-5382
>> Statesboro, GA 30460
*Robert Lake Ed.D.*Associate Professor
Social Foundations of Education
Dept. of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
Georgia Southern University
Secretary/Treasurer-AERA- Paulo Freire Special Interest Group
P. O. Box 8144
Phone: (912) 478-0355
Fax: (912) 478-5382
Statesboro, GA 30460