[Xmca-l] Re: A request for assistance

Dear Aggeliki

I get into this line of discussion, hoping that I have something to offer, as it is very close to my heart, my experiences and my current work. I work in an early childhood department of education and I teach mathematics pedagogy and learning courses to our undergraduates -who mostly ome from a working class background. I try to organize my courses around interdisciplinary work using digital media and expressive arts so that to prepare them for becoming designers of playful and art-based activity for the young children -so that to experience mathematical learning not as direct teaching but as connected and related. I realize that very often my students have a very limited 'taste' of what might be aesthetically appropriate for the early ages, what is play, how play could be possibly linked to joy, how work can be joyful or even how play can require discipline, logic and intuition. Of course, this 'limited taste' reflects to some extent a matter of working/middle class diversity (although such distinctions are not exactly relevant today ). Some of my students haven't visited a museum in their life and know merely commercial play as it is advertised in shops and TV.

The discussion over playful learning and how this relates to social class (especially in the early ages) is quite important and, perhaps, much more relevant today than it was a few decades ago. The topic is not new -but seems to come up again and again, although through different theorizing, empirical evidence and priorities in educational politics but also educational commerce (e.g.- see what is being bought today at such an ease by anxious parents and educators?!!...).

I can think over two publications in the field of mathematics education that may be of some use here. One is a book by Cooper, Barry and Dunne, Mairead [see exact reference ....(2000) /Assessing Children's Mathematical Knowledge: social class sex and problem solving./ <http://sro.sussex.ac.uk/27498/> Open University Press Buckingham, 215 pp. ISBN 0335-20316-7] that discusses a sociological analysis (based mainly on Bernstein) on how explicit/implicit ways of educating influence children's success and how this relates to social class and gender.

Another one is Valerie Walkerdine's well known book entitled 'Counting Girls' Out: Girls and Mathematics' published in the 80s. Although the title does not disclose its relevance to social class, this book is also closely related to the discussion of playful or 'progressive' education and its appropriation by working and middle class families (note: perhaps one needs to attend to the 'new middle classes' phenomenon due to the upgrading or even downgrading in social classes. In the 80s, much more than it is now, the family was for many households the 'mother' and the family was extended into the preschool years to the teacher -who was supposed to be the 'mother figure'. I have found very useful the discussion carried through the book over how 'playful' activity (and progressive pedagogy) influences differently social and working class 'mothers' and how related discourses tend to inscribe their interactions, behavior, pleasures, tacit assessments and evaluative comments. How, then, the child can resist or appropriate such discursive machinery? Ηow much play requires the 'meeting' of diverse discourses that, mainly relate to social class, ethnic, gendered diversities. Walkerdine provides some explanations throughout the book based on Foucault and feminist theory. I have enjoyed this book and although the book is not new it deserves an extra reading. I was recently responsible for editing its translation into Greek. Perhaps you might want to have a look in a lecture videotaped by Bodosakis foundation as an introduction to these very complex issues [ http://www.blod.gr/lectures/Pages/viewlecture.aspx?LectureID=786]. I guess you speak Greek. If not, ignore the video...

with best wishes
anna chronaki