[Xmca-l] Re: The ideal head

Exactly, as I see it, Helen.
And I'd go further. It applies to adults as well.
When we talk about development during adolescence and adulthood, it also means changing one's social position. Of course we can use words with whatever meaning we choose, but I think in the CHAT tradition, personality development must be interpreted in that way. And it is the crises involved in revolutionising our social position that are associated with perezhivanija. Sometimes the change in social position comes from outside, and the crisis is one of adaptation. But it can also be a crisis coming from the self - reacting to what is unsatisfactory in the world and either changing the position of the person within their social circumstances, or transforming those very circumstances themselves.

Helen Grimmett wrote:
I've always understood Vygotsky's crises as being related to a change in
social positioning:

1: Baby starts to walk and talk which radically alters her social
positioning with others (particularly with immediate family/caregivers)
3: Begins pre-school - exposed to new adults and peers, expected to
participate in group activities
6/7: Begins school - new expectations on child to take up position as
'learner'
12: Adolescence - physical changes bring about changes in interests, social
relationships etc

I've got no idea how well-founded this understanding is, but it's the only
way I have been able to make sense of why we criticise Piaget's ages/stages
model and accept Vygotsky's. It also means though that we have to be
flexible about the ages given, i.e. in Australia children start school at
5, so the 6/7 crisis would appear earlier.

My 2 bobs worth
Helen

Dr Helen Grimmett
Lecturer, Student Adviser,
Faculty of Education,
Room G64F, Building 902
Monash University, Berwick campus
Phone: 9904 7171

*New Book: *
The Practice of Teachers' Professional Development: A Cultural-Historical
Approach
<https://www.sensepublishers.com/catalogs/bookseries/professional-learning-1/the-practice-of-teachers-professional-development/>
Helen Grimmett (2014) Sense Publishers

<http://monash.edu.au/education/news/50-years/?utm_source=staff-email&utm_medium=email-signature&utm_campaign=50th>