[Xmca-l] Re: Intrinsic motivation?

So "objective motive", means the CEO's motive. Is that right?
But you also say the objective motive is the "object of the activity."
You surmise the worker's motives from their narratives, and I guess you surmise the CEO's motives from his pronouncements, too. So "objective" cannot be the right word can it? It is just the CEO's motive, just the personal motive of one person. What about the owner or shareholders? Surely their motives are even "more objective". Sociologists long ago found that managers have different motives than owners. Why privilege just one person's motives as "objective"? And if the "strategy of production" for example, fails to produce a product, do we take it that that was the really objective motive? If the subjective desires and pronouncements of the CEO are objective, how do you characterise what actually transpires, if not "objective"?

Maria Cristina Migliore wrote:
Andy,

I have found this solution: objective motive is the object of the activity, that is the strategy of production, as the CEO depicts it. The personal sense of that motive is how that motive emerges from the older workers' narratives of their professional and family life. It is for example the emphasis on quality by Ms D, while her employer put the emphasis on the quantity (I have written about Ms D in one of my previous emails).

    Can I just respond very briefly to your final comment concerning
    your research, using Leontyev's conception of objective motives
    and personal motives. This is the kind of dualism which I find
    very unhelpful.

    What is an objective motive? Or to put it another way, what motive
    is there which is not personal?

    Andy