An example:
https://www.ephorus.com/news/plagiarism-detection-software-test-2013/

Rob

On 02/07/2014 17:30, Mack, Nancy J. wrote:
See the work of Weber and Wuff for a study about the ineffectiveness of software.

Nancy

Dr. Nancy Mack
Professor of English

From: xmca-l-bounces+nancy.mack=wright.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces+nancy.mack=wright.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Charles Bazerman <bazerman@education.ucsb.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 11:43 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Help with Plagiarism software

There was some discussion of this issue on the Writing list WPA-L some time ago and the archives are open if you want to search.  if I remember the gist it was that google scholar searches were much more reliable as were several open access alternatives to Turnitin and similar products. In my own experience i found a simple system of doing exact word searches on the most sophisticated formulations, of perhaps a sentence or long phrase in length, from papers I suspected.  It almost always took me rapidly to the copied source.  Then once the suspicion was confirmed I could do more thorough text comparisons, as well as looking for other cut and paste sources.

Chuck