[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Re: theory not
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: theory not
- From: Andy Blunden <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 10:40:08 +1000
- In-reply-to: <727E8307-92BA-4EC1-833C-4A7C3D2ABCC4@gmail.com>
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <CAHCnM0ApRXbtxAsZ5Byfii46A9nLv1y8_UjvUx-=qPS8BFaBHg@mail.gmail.com> <727E8307-92BA-4EC1-833C-4A7C3D2ABCC4@gmail.com>
- Reply-to: <email@example.com>, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: <email@example.com>
- User-agent: Thunderbird 220.127.116.11 (Windows/20090812)
Sobering reading, especially interesting to read the views of editors
from a very different scientific tradition.
The type of non-theory manuscript I have found very disappointing in our
discipline is typified by one I read recently.
The authors described a case study, which involved no intervention by
the authors, and no pathology: the subject successfully lived through a
challenging period in their life, that's all. The authors simply pinned
high-falutin labels to various events and relations or cited references
to other writers as the story went along. I admit that I was so offended
by the fact that all the labels were garbled and the references
inappropriate, that I had failed to notice that even if the labels had
been correctly applied and teh references appropriate, the paper would
still have been without content!
Helena Worthen wrote:
Mike, i really appreciate your sending this out. I read it pretty carefully this morning and will read it again. I know that I'm not an adept swimmer in this particular pond, (lake or bay would be more like it) but the guidelines put forth in this article are definitely things I contend with.
On Jun 15, 2014, at 4:14 PM, mike cole wrote:
Paper attached for those unable to open.
<What theory is not-1.docx>