[Xmca-l] Re: Questioning universal core emotions

David, although I am sure that sensations cannot be taken as universal either, since it is unlikely that there is anything remaining after the interprettion of the "sensation" is abstracted. However, it is nonetheless a different claim to say that human sensation is not universal, as to say human emotion (by which is meant I think "feeling") is not universal. Let's suppose all are experiencing pain: they are all clearly feeling different about it.

Or was that your point?

http://home.mira.net/~andy/

David Kellogg wrote:
Suppose I put together a set of pictures of people undergoing torture, in
which some people appeared to be experiencing the torture stoically, others
with resignation, still others with agony, and some with something that
appears to be laughter.

I think I could probably crop the photographs and pose questions in such a
way that I could very convincingly demonstrate that pain is not a universal
human sensation. Not only that, I could probably put together a sorting
exercise that would come to the same conclusion.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies