[Xmca-l] Re: Questioning universal core emotions

Regarding core emotions:
First, what are emotions? How do emotions relate to feelings? I have found that the phones correlate to, represent and convey/transmit feelings-emotions. The emotional relevance of the phones can be experienced by voicing them over and over. We normally do not notice that relatedness between phones and feelings-emotions because we almost never vocalize unless we are verbalizing, and when we are verbalizing, we are focused on the referential function of words There is a de-facto prohibition against simply vocalizing, in public and in private also. Doing so "rattles the cage" of our reliance on the sounds of words to inform us of the effects on us - and hence, the meanings of - the things that make up our world. Breaking words down into separate sounds shines a light on the fact that the sounds of words do not necessarily represent the things to which we refer with them in our familiar language.

		Joseph Carroll Gilbert