[Xmca-l] Re: vygotsky's theory and symbolic interactionism

Tom, so far as I know, the term "false consciousness" was invented by feminists in the 1970s and was never used by Marx, and I don't think the concept is consistent with his ideas, as expressed in the Theses on Feuerbach which you quoted, for example.
http://home.mira.net/~andy/

Tom Richardson wrote:
... In the first place, it should be noted that Marx, like Spinoza and later
Freud, believed that most of what men consciously think is "false"
consciousness, is ideology and rationalization; that the true mainsprings
of man's actions are unconscious to him.