[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Conference - Critical Philosophy of Race: Here and Now, 5-6 June 2014
- To: "firstname.lastname@example.org" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Conference - Critical Philosophy of Race: Here and Now, 5-6 June 2014
- From: "White, Phillip" <Phillip.White@ucdenver.edu>
- Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 11:38:17 -0600
- Accept-language: en-US
- Acceptlanguage: en-US
- In-reply-to: <E23E629A42F087498471D39762DF7EB2DCA4221ED4@ESTES.ucdenver.pvt>
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <43952478D8003547950FACD157EDE0DB677C13A6@EX6.adf.bham.ac.uk> <531ED738.email@example.com> <5FDE9BD9-2AC4-49F8-BC49-CD69A200375E@live.ucl.ac.uk>, <firstname.lastname@example.org> <E24E3E74-ABA2-4D74-8066-67720E470B7A@live.ucl.ac.uk>, <532DAFE8.email@example.com>, <92726593-53B6-47D8-A7B3-C6D481B8951D@live.ucl.ac.uk>, <E23E629A42F087498471D39762DF7EB2DCA4221ED4@ESTES.ucdenver.pvt>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: <email@example.com>
- Thread-index: AQHPTdF+0ejR41opLEqDUjFPnknFgg==
- Thread-topic: Conference - Critical Philosophy of Race: Here and Now, 5-6 June 2014
in response to Paul's wondering about philosophy and racism, this may be of interest.
as well, is the site address below "Philosophy is dead white, and dead wrong."
Huw, perhaps you'll be able to attend this conference.
Institute of Philosophy and Institute of Commonwealth Studies present
Critical Philosophy of Race: Here and Now
in association with UCL
Thurs 5 - Fri 6 June, 2014<x-apple-data-detectors://0> (ends 2pm on Friday<x-apple-data-detectors://1>)
Senate Room, Senate House, Malet Street, WC1
Conference updates: http://t.co/r3avM8LH82
Registration On-line: http://goo.gl/HdQyom
Since the publication, in 1992, of Professor Kwame Anthony Appiah's In my father's house: Africa in the Philosophy of Culture, the new discipline of the Critical Philosophy of Race has flourished among anglophone analytic philosophers. Yet, Critical Philosophers of Race have tended to confine themselves to an analysis of racial problems that arise in the politics, and against the historical background, of anglophone North America. This parochial focus has given the false impression that the Critical Philosophy of Race is irrelevant outside of the US and Canada. For this reason, in this, the first of three annual international conferences on the Critical Philosophy of Race, we will challenge this false impression, by showcasing work that demonstrates the relevance of the Critical Philosophy of Race (a) to the British Isles. Future conferences will showcase work that demonstrates the relevance of the Critical Philosophy of Race (b) to the European Union and (c) to the wider world outside of anglophone North America. The aim of these three conferences is, successively, to globalise the Critical Philosophy of Race.
Dr Robert Bernasconi (Prof of Philosophy & African American Studies, Penn State)
Dr Meena Dhanda (Reader in Philosophy and Cultural Politics, Wolverhampton)
Dr Brian Klug (Senior Research Fellow and Tutor in Philosophy, Oxford)
Dr Gabriella Beckles-Raymond (philosopher and educational administrator)
Dr Albert Atkin (Senior Lecturer in Philosophy, Macquarie)
Dr Nicholas Kwesi Tsri (Postdoctoral Fellow in Social Justice, UCD)
Dr Annabelle Lever (Associate Professor of Normative Political Theory, Geneva)
Dr Nathaniel Adam Tobias Coleman (Fellow, ICwS & Research Associate in Philosophy, UCL)
To register for the conference, please log in to this site http://goo.gl/HdQyom and identify your registration category.
Fees include all tea and coffee breaks.
Early registration is strongly advised.
Registration Category Early Bird Rate (ends 9 May<x-apple-data-detectors://5>)
Current UK Philosophy Faculty and Students & IP members 15.00
Academic & Student (not included above) 30.00
Programme Organiser: Dr Nathaniel Adam Tobias Coleman
Enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com> and firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>. Please put "Philosophy of Race Conference Enquiry" in subject field.
This event is brought to you by the Institute of Philosophy and Institute of Commonwealth Studies at the School of Advanced Study in collaboration with UCL. We also acknowledge the generous support of the Aristotelian Society, Mind Association, Analysis Trust, UCL Department of Philosophy, UCL Joint Faculty Institute of Graduate Studies, and UCL Race Equality Steering Group.
The full programme will be made available shortly. Please check back for updates.
Please tweet: @IP_SAS & @ICwS_SAS & UCL @uclnews present Critical Philosophy of Race: Here and Now, 5-6 Jun 2014<x-apple-data-detectors://10> Registration OPEN http://t.co/r3avM8LH82
Nathaniel Adam Tobias Coleman, PhD
Research Associate in the Philosophy of 'Race'
Department of Philosophy, University College London
Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT<x-apple-data-detectors://0>, www.ucl.ac.uk/philosophy<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/philosophy>
Emerging Scholar at the Runnymede Trust
Global Outreach for APA Committee on the Status of Black Philosophers
Philosophy is dead white—and dead wrong
No Reparation, Without Preparation!
Slaveries old and new: The meaning of freedom
Europe enslaved Africans in the Caribbean: A wrong to remember and to repair
Critical Philosophy of Race: Here and Now
Joint Faculty Institute of Graduate Studies: Friday Forum on 'Race'
Why isn't my professor black?
Qstudy-l mailing list