[Xmca-l] Re: Ignorance as a driver in science

If someone is committed to some project which entails destructive beliefs, how is it possible to "cut through" those beliefs? When people are engaged in projects or actions which cause injury to others, how is it possible to "cut through" that shield which makes them indifferent to the suffering they cause? In general, how is it possible to change deeply embedded cultural beliefs (I could list a number)?
http://home.mira.net/~andy/

Laure Kloetzer wrote:
I guess How to questions are as interesting, aren't they ?
Cheers
LK

    Laure,
    I have lots of questions, but they are all "how to" not "what is"
    questions.
    http://home.mira.net/~andy/ <http://home.mira.net/%7Eandy/>

    Laure Kloetzer wrote:

        Dear colleagues,

        As part of an introduction course on psychology here in
        France, I plan to
        work with my students partly on Stuart Firestein's book on the
        value of
        Ignorance to drive scientific research. I would like to ask
        you a related
        question. Would you accept to share with the community here
        your answers to
        the following question:

        Which are the unsolved psychological questions on which you
        would dream to
        get an answer in the next ten years ?

        I plan to ask the same question to the COGDEV online community
        (cognition
        and development).

        The goal would be (a) to show the students that there are a
        lot of things
        that we don't know yet, (b) that this "ignorance" is exciting,
        and (c) to
        compare how different researchers / fields frame the field of
        ignorance,
        (d) to relate these current psychological questions to our
        life and world.
        I guess my perspective is to wonder how we may open
        alternatives to an
        accumulative model of science, which prevents the students
        from engaging
        truly in exploration, as they believe they don't know the
        basics (which is
        also true. They also need to understand the basics, but not to
        be crushed
        under them).

        What do you think of this ? What would your unsolved psychological
        questions be ?
        Thanks for your help,
        Best,
        LK