[Xmca-l] Re: vygotsky's theory and symbolic interactionism

Greg, Mead did actually read the Phenomenology and explicitly claimed that his I/Me concept was based on the Phenomenology. Vygotsky did not read Hegel (only Lenin, Marx, Engels and those of his contemporaries who did read Hegel). However, my reading of Mead is that he never grasped the significance of mediation in communication and subjectivity, despite the name - "symbolic interationism" - given to the school he spawned. I think, as Chuck said, he saw using words as a creative act and seems not to have reflected on the implications of the fact that the symbol pre-exists the action of using it.

http://home.mira.net/~andy/

Greg Thompson wrote:
Paul,
And another piece you might be interested in:
Winter, J. A. and Goldfield, E. C. (1991), Caregiver-Child Interaction in
the Development of Self: The Contributions of Vygotsky, Bruner, and Kaye to
Mead's Theory. Symbolic Interaction, 14: 433-447.
doi: 10.1525/si.1991.14.4.433

I suspect a Hegelian/Marxian root is shared between Vygotsky and Mead. Mead
said at one point that his social psychology was an attempt to do what
Hegel did, with the hopes that it would be "less incorrigible." I have the
exact quote somewhere if you're interested.

The Vygotsky-Hegel connections have been much debated here on XMCA, but it
seems that there is good reason to think that Vygotsky would have been
influenced by Hegel, whether directly or indirectly (quick duck - I think
they'll be some words flying soon in defense of one side or the other of
this argument...).

I'm interested in this intersection as well, more in terms of links and
complementarities with Goffman and Vygotsky, but I'm happy to chat about
the Mead/Vygotsky link.

-greg