[Xmca-l] Re: Alex Kozulin's notion of three planes of understanding

My reading is this.
"Romantic Science" I associate with Goethe, and the fragile thread of scientists which followed him. Goethe himself insisted that his ideas about science were no to be seen as exclusive or antagonistic to positivist approaches. He used the diversity of Christian sects active in the New York of his day as a metaphor for how he saw science as developing, as against the homeogeneity of a state religion. So far as I know, it was only Luria who self-identified with "romantic science", but I think it is fair to say that Vygotsky was also, but Vygotsky identified himself as a Marxist, not a Romantic. I do not see the Romantic/Positivist difference as descriptive/explanatory, though I can see the basis for that. Romantic science prefers to use what is given in experience as the foundation for explanation, rather than postulating metaphysical "forces" which are beyond sensation as explanations for what is given in experience, which is what positivism does. For Goethe, Newton was the archetype of this. I think the nomothetic/ideographic distinction is also another valid rendering of the Romantic/Positivist difference, but I think it is only partial. It is one possible way of implementing the conviction that we must resist, so far as possible, abstracting from experience. But for Goethe, it was always a question of resisting that for as long as possible, never a rejection of the necessity of abstracting altogether. That's why he called Romantic Science a "delicate empiricism." It is true that it is very fashionable nowadays (and for at least a generation) to claim holism and various similar ideas. The point with Romanticism is not so much the aim of holistic synthesis rather than positivist analysis, but Romanticism shows *how* it is possible to "begin from the whole." Positivist efforts at "holistic analysis" are usually, in my view, forms of words alone, beginning by gathering a whole bunch of abstractions together and calling them the whole, and then re-discovering the abstractions again. But as Hegel said, "there is nothing on Earth, in Heaven or anywhere else, that is not both mediated and immediate."

http://home.mira.net/~andy/

mike cole wrote:
David, Martin. My apologies if I was reading idiocyncratically and too
literally.

I stumbled when I read I have always resisted the Lurian characterization
of Vygotsky as a romantic scientist, because I never heard ARL speak of LSV
in those terms, nor did I put his idea of romantic science together with
explanatory/descriptive.

Perhaps the problem is that I had not properly appreciated the line that
David points to:

"On p. 175 he says "One of the major factors that drew me to Vygotsky was
his emphasis on the necessity to resolve (sic) this crisis", meaning the
crisis brought about by the split between classical and romantic
tendencies."

My failure was that I have long thought of the split being confronted as
between explanatory and descriptive psychology. It had not occurred to me
to equate descriptive with romantic. I also have, and continue, to think of
Luria's particular approach to romantic science as a means of overcoming
the nomoethetic/idiographic dichotomy that is also at play here.

Your way of putting this together with German romanticism helps make sense
of the way that more contemporary cultural historical scholars have used
the term "non-classical" to refer to the Vygotskian tradition.

mike

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 7:30 AM, Martin John Packer <mpacker@uniandes.edu.co