[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Re: Public Academics and its risks
- To: "email@example.com" <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Public Academics and its risks
- From: "Glassman, Michael" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 23:41:08 +0000
- Accept-language: en-US
- In-reply-to: <CAHCnM0C=Vj5G5Hoh_kM2SQM9aQ7SaL5eAcZYc7ppHs6_jaZemail@example.com>
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <CAHCnM0C=Vj5G5Hoh_kM2SQM9aQ7SaL5eAcZYc7ppHs6_jaZfirstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Thread-index: AQHPQUgv5SbruTnE30O0sA+XuxmQrZrkXpch
- Thread-topic: [Xmca-l] Public Academics and its risks
How extraordinarily painful. The fact that one of the richest universities in the world fired the found of the National Coalition for the Homeless because he couldn't bring in 80% of his salary from grants suggests something has gone very wrong with our collective enterprise. There was a time when people used to say we must support cynicism in going after money because it can support nobler endeavors. Now.....
Buy a writer a beer on a hot day and he or she will tell you the three unalterable rules of the universe without much prodding.
Never eat at a place called moms.
Never play cards with a guy named Doc
and Never get into a relationship with somebody who has more problems that you.
Perhaps we need to add a fourth.
Never make a deal with the devil because in the end the devil always comes out ahead.
From: email@example.com [firstname.lastname@example.org] on behalf of mike cole [email@example.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2014 2:46 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Public Academics and its risks
This article seems relevant to prior discussion on the topic of public
engagement by academics. The issue is especially tricky when working on
soft money, but.......