[Xmca-l] Re: Call for papers on mind wandering and reading and writing

Without any scientific justification at all, I tend to see it that way as well, Mike. I have a terrible deficit of focus and (much to Vonney's annoyance) often don't see what is under my nose, but that is because my mind is wandering all the time, and I have no intention, and never had, of trying to do anything about that, to "discipline" my mind, because I absolutely rely on whatever it is which is going on when I am not thinking about something. Some people are different. Vonney has incredible perception. She sees things (and smells, and hears) which are invisible to me, but she has great difficulty in seeing what is not there. This becomes an issue for us when it comes to interior design/renovations, etc. She always does a fantastic job, in the end, but it takes lots of work to visualise the object before it is produced, usually relying on finding pictures of the same thing done by someone else in magazine. The opposite for me. I can see it before it is built easily, but I do not have the same discrimination, so it is no use. I would love to read whatever comes out of this call for papers. But I would be interested even more if it were not exclusively focussed on education and children. Us adults apprehend the world differently too.

http://home.mira.net/~andy/

mike cole wrote:
David-- Mind wandering is the flip side of mindful meditation, right? There was an article, I believe in the NYTimes about the differential efficacy of mindful mediation on mental power that included a flip side of lack of creativity which mind wanderwind was supposed to take care of.

Right?

I believe this discussion bears an important relation to CHAT theory. But maybe I have the topic all wrong and its all in my, lets call it, imagination.

mike