[Xmca-l] Re: Play and symbolic thought --

Hi Beth and Monica--

Although I have quietly followed some of the posts on this issue, I don't
remember exactly what was said before. So, if anything I say is redundant
or not so relevant, just feel free to ignore it..

In discussions of whether or how imaginative play leads to development of
symbols, one important issue that is often not considered is the
motivation for play.  A shared conviction among theorists like Freud,
Piaget, and Vygotsky is that children play in order to make sense of an
affectively significant experience, e.g., to heal a wound (Freud), to
develop mastery over a personal past experience (Piaget), or to anticipate
future based on partial understandings of an experience (Vygotsky.)  I
believe all of these to be true based on my own work with young children
as a former preschool teacher and some clinical experience with children
who had learning disabilities.  Suzanne Gaskins and I wrote about these
issues together before too.  Cindy Dell Clark's book on the role of play
in the treatment of children with asthma and diabetes supports this idea
too.  So, it seems to me that if we can show/understand the connection
between children's play activities and their antecedents, it will be
easier to see that even by virtue of expressing something of personal
significance in play, children are making an effort to symbolize that
experience.

A second issue relates to how the experience gets represented.  In the
1970s and 80s, Greta Fein wrote a lot about this issue.  She argued and
showed that the road to symbolization begins with placing a familiar
personal event of significance in the context of play, e.g., an infant's
pretending to drink from an empty bottle.  Greta called this
de-contextualization.  With age, a de-contextualized event gets
transformed through different means, i.e., objects and ideas, and
opportunities as afforded by their cultural/community contexts.  In other
words, something can be represented either through a very structured toy
or not using any object at all.  So, if we see symbolization taking place
in many different ways, it may be easier to see how play leads to symbolic
development.  (One example I can think of from the arts is how
representation of a tree had changed in Modigliani's paintings from tree
figures to geometric shapes...)

Basically, I am suggesting that the connection between play and symbolic
development will be easier to see if we understand the connection between
play activities and their non-play antecedents, and also that there is a
developmental/contextual order/preference to how experiences get
represented in play.

All the best, ag

Artin Goncu, Ph.D
Professor Emeritus,