[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Re: Critical Early Learning
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Critical Early Learning
- From: mike cole <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 11:04:32 -0800
- In-reply-to: <83DC11A4-F5D4-4D55-BC02-A1D5BCD69D56@uniandes.edu.co>
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <email@example.com> <83DC11A4-F5D4-4D55-BC02-A1D5BCD69D56@uniandes.edu.co>
- Reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
This question is way late.... interest in discussing Paul and colleagues'
paper appears to have died out.
Martin sent us a paper that I take to be part of his "changing classes"
book project. In it he makes the following comment (the whole paper was
interesting to me).
*The developmental processes in school involve ontological change--change
in the kind of person a child becomes--and increasing this is becoming a
“relationalist ontology” as rationalization [of schooling] has its effect.*
I am still early in the process of learning to get with the "ontological
in Anthropology that Latour discussed at the Anthro meetings recently.
So mostly I am full of questions and uncertainties.
Here is one. It has been fashionable for some time to talk about identity
formation in relation to ontogenetic development. In that way of talking,
I would translate the phenomenon "change in the kind of person a child
becomes" as "change in the child's identity as function of schooling" or
some such phrase.
What violence does such a translation create? Identities are "kinds of
people" and "kinds of entities in the world" is, I think, what ontology is
PS-- I recommend the article!
On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Martin John Packer <email@example.com
> Looking back through old files I found a chapter I wrote over 10 years ago
> exploring some of these issues. In case some of you have nothing better to
> do on a three-day weekend I'm attaching it.