From: larry smolucha <lsmolucha@hotmail.com>
Date: 11/08/2013  4:47 AM  (GMT-05:00)
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: The illusion of cultural authenticity

Message from Francine Smolucha:
Paul,
Is not kreyol itself derived from 18th century French?Doesn't this make the kreyol language and concepts expressed by means of it,a hybrid of European, West African, and Taino cultures?
It would also be worthwhile for XMCARS following this thread to look at JuliusWilson's 2009 book More Than Just Race: Being Black and Poor in the Inner City which examines the interaction of both social structure and culture.  It would bea misinterpretation of Julius Wilson's work to claim it attributes the economic disparities exclusively to the class divisions of capitalist society (social relations of production).
I also think that a self-enclosed system of activity and ideology can be terminated because of its own internal flaws and does not require external catastrophic collapse. For example,an economic model based on exploitation of natural and/or human resources could in no short time exhaust natural resources like timber, coal, and oil. Pollution would poison the air and water. The exploited workers would become sickly and the stagnant social structure would provide no incentives for creating new inventions in technology, science, and medicine. There are several examples of both non-European and European (agricultural and capitalist) societies that brought about their own demise.For example, the disappearance of the ancestral Anasazi people of Pueblo Bonito in New Mexico is thought to be the result of deforestration.