[Xmca-l] Re: Messages on XMCA

Luisa and anyone contemplating some version of the out-of-school research
effort such as
the 5thD or LCM. In each case, these efforts rest on actual involvement of
a university faculty member who is permitted to offer a theory/practice
course that keeps a steady stream of
students involving themselves in community-based, participatory,
engagement.

When I see the word "rural" in Luisa's note my first thought is -- how will
the students get there and be involved? Without those reciprocal relations
of exchange (a term I learned from Olga that seems appropriate to such
projects), costs of such an undertaking are too great.

Also, there is a quite successful 5thD innovation started many years ago at
San Diego State U
and now run by Deborah Poole, that is NOT focused on new digital
technologies at all. Some
use of such technologies is helpful and maybe necessary for purposes of
inter and intra institutional communication, but not for creating
development enhancing settings where
undergrads and local youth are jointly involved.

mike

PS- Deborah has an article about her site in MCA
: Mind, Culture, and
Activity<http://65.54.113.26/Journal/15982/mind-culture-and-activity>
 , vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 216-236, 2011