[Xmca-l] Re: ZeroHours professor dies in poverty

I've seen this article make the rounds through Facebook and Twitter this week. My academic friends are particularly outraged...as if "this" (poverty, homelessness, death by poverty) shouldn't happen to "us" (academics rooted firmly in the middle class).

I imagine the truth of this story, if a truth can be located, is somewhere between the two stories that Bruce and Martin sent out. I also think it takes a particular kind of hubris to get up in arms about poverty only (especially) when it hits "one of our own." Where is the general outrage about poverty, homelessness, and death by poverty when it attacks the people it more typically attacks--the ones who we assume to be different from "us" in ways that keep "us" safe from "their" fate?

Jenna McWilliams
Cultural-Historical Research SIG Communications Chair
Learning Sciences Program, Indiana University

~
jenmcwil@indiana.edu
jennamcjenna@gmail.com