[Xmca-l] Re: Direct link to article for discussion

Jennifer, in response to your 4 questions, as well as Larry’s initial comments, I want to both respond and situate myself so that my response is as transparent as I can at this point make it.  although, this runs the risk of a response being far too long - but i'm still going to plunge forth.

Wertsch writes about “irreducible tensions” in his 1998 “Mind as Action”, which I find to be a problem of practice in all of your questions – that your questions are illustrative of the irreducible tensions within the cultural activities you are questioning.

Also, Larry’s emphasis on the Vygotsky quote – to permeate school environments the school has to penetrate and envelop the life of the child.

Such a position is highly totalitarian – which really is no surprise considering the larger political project that Vygotsky was involved in – the new soviet man.  On one hand, of course, one wants to move away from the prerevolutionary social construction of a citizen to a new citizen – but already Lenin had reinvigorated the secret police as a tool against the “enemies of the state”.  Remember, in Stanton Wortham’s 2006 “Learning Identity: the joint emergence of social identification and academic learning” where William is identified as the “prototypical unpromising male student” – which I see as a fine example of school penetrating and enveloping the life of the child.

I think that we make the error that Vygotsky’s work is liberatory, whereas his theories can certainly be used to underpin a highly repressive schooling system.

Irreducible tensions.

And at the same time, again, irreducible tensions for me, I find your paper to be as personally valuable as Gregory Bateson’s work, Steps to an Ecology of the Mind (1972), Michel Foucault’s Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison (1975), Jean Lave’s Teaching as Learning in Practice,(1996) V 3, N 3, Mind, Culture and Activity, and Virginia Woolf’s Mrs. Dalloway (1925) - which have all been seminal texts for me, amongst others – so now, yes, I want to add Locating Social and Emotional Learning in Schooled Environments: A Vygotskian Perspective on Learning as Unified by Jennifer A. Vadeboncoeur and Rebecca J. Collie.

I think that you and Collie are advocating for a more complex holistic approach in education:  “Schools must become places for engaging in unified experiences and, for this to occur, the reunification of learning must be valued by the school and outside community. However, drawing attention to perezhivanie, emotional experience, the unity of child and social environment, as well as the importance of the meanings made by the child through developing word meaning and sense, the unity of speech, thinking, and feeling, and the role of narrative and dialogue in both, the contradictions between Vygotsky’s perspective and the way that schools are currently constructed could not be more blatant.”

For such holistic unities, I am in total agreement.  I also recognize that, contemporary attempts in valuing unity of affect and intellect the have been both problematic and ineffective.  As you two point out, “In broad strokes these reforms (a) overemphasize standardized assessments, what is important in education is what can be measured on specific sorts of assessments under specific conditions, what is countable becomes what counts (Green & Luke, 2006; Ladwig, 2010); (b) marginalize prevention programs and programs that have nonacademic goals, like social and emotional learning (Meier & Wood, 2004); and (c) erase factors that influence students’ performance that are not linked to teaching and are outside of teachers’ control, like the evidence of growing inequalities between groups and communities, the social reasons for early school leaving, and a loss of economic infrastructure in both rural and abandoned urban areas (Sizer, 2004).

But for me, and this is being personally proleptic, I attempt to put into practice singularly within the small community in which I have a full or partial participant (again, Lave & Wenger) those practices within a unity of affect and intellect.

And at the same time I continue to see a world of irreducible tensions.  You and Collie also wrote, “He (Vygotsky) highlighted the potential of education to foster the development of individuals with social, cognitive, and emotional competencies as well as a disposition toward ethical action. One noted goal of education was the development of citizens for an international, and now global, world. At the center of the educational process was the social environment of the school.”

This excerpt reminds me of a bitterly ironic joke from the old soviet bloc:

An internationalist speaks one language.
A nationalist speaks at least two languages.

So, what does this joke mean?  It means that the Russians who described themselves as participating within the international communist soviet union could speak only Russian.  Those individuals, who spoke not only Russian but their own native language, who loudly/quietly protested against the Russian hegemony were branded as nationalist, who failed to recognize the international unity of Russian communism.

Irreducible tensions.

phillip