[Xmca-l] Re: A Question about Reading and Motivation

Interesting comment, Phillip. Kind of like nature/nurture. People declare
the debate
over and it chugs right along unheeding.

In that long ago article that I cited no the lchc website, we were trying
to supercede the debate by creating a way of organizing the interactions
around text in a way we thought was related to ideas we(probably mis)
appropriated from Vygotsky and Leontiev.

To little avail, judging by the evidence! But, then, our "solution" created
problems for
standard classroom organization that were very real for teachers/schools
involved. So its
one thing to come up with a solution "in vitro" and quite another to
implement that solution
on a broad enough scale "in vivo" (across a wide range of real, long
entrenched set of cultural practices and their social norms) so that it
becomes the norm.

Yet another reason to be humble in our claims for the utility of what we do.
mike