[Xmca-l] Re: A Question about Reading and Motivation

The first thing I thought on reading "assistance is given to kids to
read in order to find out something they want to know about the world"
was "This is basic Freire".  Adult literacy had the same problem of
meaningless texts till Freire came along and started teaching them about
things that mattered to them. It also made me reflect on the idea of
motive, whihc has for a long time been a question I have been intending
to examine "when I have time".  When I met the activity triangle, one of
the most obvious issues about it was that it contains no separate place
for motive. After a while that seemed logical because the motive was in
the object, and maybe one of our difficulties is that we separate motive
out from object in order to understand it better, and then forget to put
it back in again.

Children are just like people, they do need a reason to do things. I've
always been puzzled by the idea of andragogy, the suggestion that adults
learn differently from children. Proponents usually list several reasons
which usually make no sense to me. One of the reasons usually given is
that adults need to know why they are doing something, the unspoken
contrast being presumably that children happily do what they're told.
The kind of research you refer to here, Andy, suggests that children do
need to know why they are doing something, but lack the power to say so.
Hence, I think, a lot of the problems evident in our UK schooling system
(lots of great schools, in my opinion, dreadful educational policies
dictate that children are machined through exams in order to maintain
the school's place in the league table. So there is a reason why the
children do what they do, it is just not relevant to the child.)

Rob