[Xmca-l] Re: meaning and sense

Sungwoo,
I would like to recommend a book that gives a good summary of the history
of understanding of metaphor that puts your question in a larger context.
The book is "Communicative Praxis and the Space of Subjectivity" by Calvin
O Schrag.
Chapter One is "Figures of Discourse" [pages 17 to 31].
 Schrag is critiquing the subjectivism and emotivist BIAS which has
dominated views on metaphor, and explores an understanding of metaphor as
central to ways of knowing and communicating.
Here is a sample of his approach in his commentary on Mary Hesse's book
"Models and Analogies in Science":
Schrag comments,

"Although Hess has succeeded in freeing metaphor from its bondage to the
noncognitive, emotive, and merely decorative, the liberation of metaphor AS
an autonomous form of disclosure and communication has not been fully
attained in her thought. Metaphor remains a supplement to the reductive
MODEL of scientific explanation, achieving reference only through a
circuitous linkage with the explanandum of the primary SYSTEM."
My emphasis to focus on how metaphor, model, system are concepts that
participate within communicative praxis.

This chapter, "Figures AS Discourse" gives many further references and
leads to follow if you are fascinated with the transformative power of
metaphor.
Larry